“Here are 10 things your infant might say about weaning if he could:
1) My food used to always be the same – same taste, same texture, same smell. Now it changes from meal-to-meal. I never know what to expect.
2) I used to snuggle with Mommy while I ate but now I don’t.
3) I used to eat while lying down. Now I have to sit up.
4) I used to decide how quickly or slowly to eat. Now someone else picks the speed at which food is put into my mouth.
5) I used to take big sips or small sips of milk. Now someone else decides how much food is in each bite.
6) I used to have a soft nipple in my mouth. Now there’s a hard spoon in there.
7) I used to eat whenever I was hungry. Now Mommy often makes me wait for meal- or snack-time.
8) Mommy used to be the only one to feed me. Now lots of different people take turns.
9) I used to decide how long meals lasted. Now whoever feeds me decides.
10) I never could see what was going on in the room before. Now I can check out all the action.”
No wonder it’s not happening so easily. All in good time.
Do you have any tips for starting solids with reluctant eaters?